The error message ‘SAFE MODE Restriction in effect’ is a PHP restriction issue. This error occurs when the server account tries to run built-in PHP functions but it does not have access to run it. This issue is related to the server configuration and it is not related to OpenCart or a template. The error may occur as warnings and the possible error variants are as follows
1. Warning: session_start(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect
2. Warning: image jpeg(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect
3. Warning: is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect
Possible Ways to Fix this issue:
This issue can be easily fixed by two ways.
1. Safe Mode and open_basedir restriction is a server issue and it can be easily fixed by turning off the restriction. Ask your hosting provider to turn off the restriction. This is the best way to fix this issue.
2. It can also be resolved by the following code.
Use the following code in php.ini
code safe_mode = Off
or use the following code in the .htaccess file
php_value safe_mode off